ET's Birth Story in Google Search Phrases


I became a second time mom at 1:23am on March 25, 2016 but you wouldn't know it based on my search history leading up to the birth. I think I googled answers more this time around than with my first birth!

Here's what you'd find if you looked up my search history leading up to ET's birth.

Google Search Phrase: "pelvic pubic pain can't walk"

Starting at the end of the 2nd trimester, severe pelvic and pubic pain made the pregnancy almost debilitating. When I asked my OB/GYN about it she asked, "Is this your first baby?"

"No, it's my 3rd pregnancy but only the second to reach the 3rd trimester," I responded.

"You must have had easy pregnancies because this is what pregnancy feels like for most women," she said. "You might be feeling more pain with this pregnancy because your muscles aren't as strong as during your first pregnancy. It's like a stretched out balloon."

If it feels like getting punched in the groin repeatedly and being bruised down there all the time, I can't imagine that most women would have more than one child.

But Google results proved my OB/GYN right. This is a pain that many pregnant women feel, either as "lightening crotch," sciatic pain or pelvic girdle pain. After having mild pelvic girdle pain during my last pregnancy, I saw a chiropractor that made the pain go away. I was convinced, however, that this time, the gradually increasing level of pain was a sign of impending labor because there's no way my body was going to let me stay pregnant if I was going to be in that much pain!

Google Search Phrase: "losing mucus plug 39 weeks"

About 3 days before the actual birth, my mucus plug started coming out. A little the first day. A chunk the next day. A bigger chunk the day before I went into labor. My husband was so sure this was a sign of immediate labor that he stayed home from work. He was only off by 24 hours.

Google search results told me that it could be anywhere between 24-48 hours or a couple of weeks. Some posts even noted that mucus plugs can be lost and re-established over the course of pregnancy. Which of course, was no help at all.

Google Search Phrase: "water broke labor how long"

A gush of water came down my leg shortly after a bathroom visit on March 24 at 10:30pm. My last pregnancy also kicked off the birth with my water breaking but with a slow trickle and by the time I got to Labor and Delivery (which was immediately), my fluid levels were low enough that they had to hook me up to IV fluids and keep me in one side position to prevent the baby from laying on the umbilical cord and going into distress. A gush made me nervous as a result. How much amniotic fluid could be left in there for baby if I'm leaving puddles all over the house?

Nervous there wasn't enough time to get BB and our corgi over to my mom's house before going to the hospital, my husband called my mom and asked her to come over to our house. A call to Labor and Delivery let me know that I had at least 40 minutes to get to the hospital. The nurse even suggested I take a shower to relax before coming in!

Google search results described a potential 24 hour wait time in the case of a vaginal delivery. Thankfully, I went in as soon as possible because the baby wasn't going to wait 24 hours and we were planning on a C-Section.

Google Search Phrase: "fasting before c-section"

The nurse set up the fetal monitoring when we arrived at Labor and Delivery an hour later. After handling my admission, the OB/GYN had a conversation with me about tubal litigation when I told her this child would be my last. "No thank you," I told her, "He's going to get snipped instead." After running through all the necessary questions, someone finally asked me when I had last eaten. Unfortunately, that was at 8pm which meant they wanted me to wait until 4am to start my C-section.

This was not what our little fetus wanted, apparently, because at about midnight, he kicked me hard and started a series of off-the-chart contractions. Like, screaming so loud they could hear me down the hallways contractions. The OB/GYN on call, the midwife and the nurses rushed into my room and were confused as to what happened. The last they had seen me, I was having no contractions, in no pain, and in very good humor. They quickly prepped me for surgery and we headed to the operating room.

What I Wouldn't Have Known To Google

At BB's birth, I was so exhausted from laboring for so long that I felt relieved when headed to the operating room. I even fell asleep. This time was filled with a wide awake terror. While they prepped me for surgery, my husband couldn't be in the room so the fear was compounded with loneliness. It was the most anxiety ridden I ever remember feeling in my life.

The anesthesiologist administered the spinal block while I leaned on a nurse for support. The mere act of her placing her hands on my shoulders to help me brace myself was slightly calming.  Quickly after that, I was moved from hospital bed to operating table, a curtain was put up to separate my visual access to the surgical area and I started to shiver. Though the shivering was a result of a reaction to the IV and spinal block, it felt like it was partially fear induced also. Relief rushed over me when my husband finally appeared. In complete vulnerability, I squeaked out the words, "I'm so scared" which helped to diffuse my feelings.  He held my hand, said some words of encouragement and they began the surgery.

It felt like pressure where they were cutting. Just enough numbness and detachment that it was unreal they were cutting through my body. And it felt like forever. When the pushing down on my abdomen started, that was the closest thing to pain I felt during the surgery. With BB, his removal felt like a violent tugging. Like something was being forcibly pulled out of me. In this C-Section, the pressure I felt was hard pushing, like they were trying to shove him out from the top of my stomach out the incision on the bottom.

Waves of nausea would come over me and the anesthesiologist would administer something that made the nausea go away. It felt like forever while I waited for them to stop pushing and to hear the baby cry. Fears that something had gone wrong, that the baby was hurt or that I was dying ran through my head. Sounds of the surgeon occasionally talking to the nurses, comments about having to cut a larger incision because of the size of baby's head made me nervous and I started to fall in and out of consciousness. Finally, the pushing stopped and I heard the loudest cries, my fears disappeared and my husband went to cut the cord.

Then, the nurse showed me this vernix covered squishy faced baby. She pushed off the hospital gown off my upper body and placed this tiny newborn on my chest.

"I don't think I'm steady enough to hold him," I said with a shaky voice.

"I wasn't going to let you hold him by yourself," the nurse responded as she held him in place. My husband took over supporting the newborn on my chest and I felt in awe of this tiny little human that had been inside my body just minutes before. This baby I had loved his whole life but just met for the first time.

We laid there until the nurse took the baby and my husband away to do skin to skin while the surgical team stitched me up. It seemed to take the surgeon forever to finish with the surgery. I fell asleep for some of it and every time I woke up again, it felt like no progress had been made. Later, the OB explained that it was good I wasn't having anymore children because she had a hard time stitching my uterus up because the lining was so thinned out.

Finally, after being balloon lifted from the operating table to a new bed, I was wheeled to the recovery room where my hungry baby and exhausted husband were waiting for me.

You may also like

No comments: